Friday, September 7, 2012

Chapter 22


WARNING: Double Innuendos. Please skip until the Blue SAFE ZONE if under 18.


The Other Suite, Leela Palace:

Arnav leans back: Fine. So be it. Also, make sure you leave a Rs. 5,000,000 cheque on my desk tomorrow as compensation for sabotaging my calendar shoot.
Khushi fumes: I did not ruin your photoshoot. You did. I was handling her just fine.
Arnav raises his brow: Oh really? It seemed to me Cat was on the verge of eating you alive.
Khushi (sarcastically): Not really. She was more interested in eating you alive and not even burp after her meal.
Arnav smirks: Don’t tell me you are feeling jealous.
Khushi lets out a quite unladylike snort: Yeah right… The day I buy a well-used product like you, that would be the day I will put on that lingerie.
Arnav retorts back: Not well-used Ms. Gupta… Well-trained and experienced… There is a difference.
Khushi, not willing to back down, retorts back: Well, you can take your training and experience and shove it.
Arnav smirks with a wicked smile: I’d be happy to do it. Just tell me when and where.
Khushi buffled as she does not quite get it: Eh?


Devi Maiyya (Jumping in glee): I got it, I got it… (Giggles and snickers)
Nandi (exasperated): At least maintain some decoram. You are God for heaven’s sake. You should think Holy thoughts.
Devi Maiyya (Eyes lit up): What an amazing idea…
She plucks out a feather from a passing duck, making it squeak indignantly and fly away. Then she zaps Nandi’s glass of milk and turns it into ink. Nandi squeaks and glares at her. Devi Maiyya ignores his angry looks.
She takes out her golden scroll, dips the feather on Nandi’s glass of ink (previously milk) and painstakingly writes on it with her tongue caught between her teeth on one side of her mouth: Holi, lingerie, Khushi, Well-trained and experienced Arnav….
Nandi shouts: Stop stop… What are you writing?
Devi Maiyya squeals happily: Your idea for Holi… You asked me to think Holi thoughts. After all, Holi mein sab chalta hain… (Everything goes in Holi)
Nandi: Of ho… Indianwali Holi nehin, Englishwali Holy… Hey bhagwan…
(Of ho… Not Indian Holi, English Holy… Oh God)…
Devi Maiyya busy finishing her writing looks up distractedly: Eh?
Nandi smacks his forehead.

_____________________________________________________
SAFE ZONE

Payal’s Office, ASR Designs:

Aakash knocks on the door.
Payal calls from inside: Come in.
Aakash goes in and smiles: Hi Payal.
Payal looks up from the file she was reading and smiles: Hi Aakash.
Aakash: Payal, Bhai has suddenly arranged for our calendar photoshoot. I need to go on the set to get the budget approval signed by Bhai. Do you have any urgent appointment today?
Payal checks her calendar: Nope. I have most of the afternoon free.
Aakash smiles: That’s great. Why don’t you come with me then? We can go to the set and check the budget together, then we can go out for lunch.
Payal blushes: That sounds good.
Aakash (thrilled): Awesome. Then I will book a table for lunch at The Qube since we are going to the Leela Palace anyway.
Payal smiles: Sounds good.
Aakash was about to leave but he turns back: Oh and Payal, I will introduce you to my cousin, NK. He just came today from Canada. He is a very unique character. You will like him.
Payal smiles: I’m sure I will.
Aakash smiles and leaves her office.
Payal leans back on the chair and thinks: Does he feel what I feel? Or why would he introduce me to his cousin? (she chuckles and blushes at her thoughts) Stop making mountain out of a molehill. Let’s see what happens…

Aakash’s Office, ASR Designs:

Aakash is sitting in his chair and thinking the same thing Payal was thinking: Does she feel what I feel? Why would she agree to meet NK? He has nothing to do with her work. Should I ask her what she thinks about me? (he smiles shyly to himself) Look at me. I’m behaving like a school boy at the threos of his first love. But I am in love. I know it now. But does she feel the same?


Nandi (wiping his tears): So sweet. Yes, yes, yes Aakash… She is in love with you and you are in love with her. What a pair… I can just see their future like a movie. Aakash, Payal and their two children frolicking while they kiss.
Devi Maiyya (snorts at Nandi’s tears): Well yeah… Who made this pair? I am great if I say so myself. Not that I need to, considering how many people mention “God is Great” on their vehicles.
Nandi (mutters): And so humble and down to earth…
Nandi picks up his haypop (Lollypop made with hay) and opens his mouth to chew…
Devi Maiyya hears that so she zaps the haypop making it a beef jerky…
Nandi screams in fright: Eeekkkk
He whirls and glares at Devi Maiyya’s innocent face busy sucking her pepsi…


The Other Suite, Leela Palace:

The models get ready and they get out from the room one by one.
ASR taps his watch: You have 15 minutes to be ready or prepare to face the consequences.
ASR leaves the room for the Maharaja suite where the shots will be taken.
Khushi fumes behind his back. She throws the bag of lingerie on the floor and storms out of the empty suite towards the elevator.
She hits the button and waits for the elevator to arrive. The elevator door opens and a man rushes out of it and bumps on her. Khushi’s bun comes lose and her hair spills on her back whereas she falls with the man on the carpeted corridor in front of the elevator in an awkward tangle of arms and legs.
NK looks on his side the girl he fell with and was about to say sorry but his tongue gets tied at the delicate rose and cream beauty of the girl. Her long hair cascading on her back in waves, her big bambi eyes flashing in anger and glistening with unshed tears. Her rose petal lips still trembling in indignation.
NK becomes mesmerized.
Khushi untangles herself and gets up to see that the elevator has already left.
She stomps her foot in frustration and swips at the tears now trembling on her lashes.
NK gets up and says: Hi…
Khushi looks at him but then turns her back ignoring him. She hits the elevator button forcefully.
NK winces at her anger. But plows along: Hi, I’m NandKishore Sharma aka NK.
Khushi turns to him hearing her beloved Buaji’s favourite catchphrase and covers her face with her small hands and starts crying.
NK gets confused and scared. He tries to stop her crying: Hey hey… I know my name is a little weird. Trust me, I cried more tears than you over this name. In fact, that’s why I go by NK now so that I don’t scare people with my full name. No need to cry. (He pats his pocket and finds a stick of gum) Hear, take this.
Khushi sees the stick of gum and whimpers.
NK (worried, pats his pockets again and finds a chocolate bar): No? Then how about this?
Khushi sees the mangled chocolate in his hands and tentatively takes it with a tiny smile.
NK gets relieved and makes her sit on the floor of the corridor: Wanna talk about it?
Khushi tells him her story between whimpers, sniffles and frequent bites of the chocolate. By the time the chocolate finishes, her story ends too.
Khushi wipes her tears: I just don’t know what to do. Woh Laad Governor to hamare piche haath dhoke pade hain… (That Laad Governor is after me for revenge)
NK controls his snigger at another unique name for Nannav.
He thinks for a moment: So what he really wants you to do is take part in the photoshoot as showstopper wearing ASR Designs clothes, am I right?
Khushi nods vigorously.
NK’s eyes lit up: Idea.
Khushi’s eyes lit up too: What?
NK tells her: Wait a minute here.
He grabs his carry bag and pulls out a plastic bag from it: Here you go.
Khushi looks at the bag and looks up at NK in confusion: What is it?
NK tells her: He told you to wear ASR Designs chothes for the photoshoot right? This is ASR Designs clothes. Wear it and go for the shoot.
Khushi opens the bag and sees a simple but extremely elegant saree with halterneck embroidered blouse and silk petticoat.

The saree:



She looks at NK with wide eyes and asks: Hawwww… Where did you get this from?
NK smiles: Actually, I’m Aakash Singh Raizada’s cousin. He is COO of ASR Designs. I forgot to buy my masi (mother’s sister), Aakash’s mom any gift. So I picked up this saree to give it to her instead.
Khushi smiles hearing Aakash’s name: I know Aakash. He is a great guy. (then she gets worried) But are you sure your masiji won’t mind?
NK (cheerfully): Nope. She does not even know I’m coming and she is certainly is not expecting anything.
Khushi (happily): Okay then. I will wear this saree. But I have one condition. Since you are giving me this saree to wear, you have to come with me after the photoshoot and I will buy you a saree to take as a gift to your masi.
NK (excited at the prospect of spending more time with Khushi): Agreed.


Khushi then hurries to the other suite pointing the Maharaja suite to NK.
NK flashes her thumbs up sign and walks in the Maharaja Suite with a flamboyant: Nannav, mere bhai (my brother)… Where are you?


The other suite:

When Khushi re-enters the suite she sees a model sulking. As she sees Khushi, she stalks to her: Where the hell were you? I’m not your maid, understand? (She grabs Khushi’s hand and slams a jewellery box on her hand) ASR has asked you to wear this with your outfit and come out in 5 minutes.
Then she flounces out of the room with her lingerie gear…
Khushi opens the jewellery box to find a pair of earrings.

Earrings:


She smiles happily as these earrings will also go with the saree. She starts to get ready.

The Maharaja Suite:

NK enters to find chaos everywhere and Arnav is standing by the rooftop pool and shouting at someone over the phone.
ASR is screaming on the phone: What do you mean that you can’t find it? That’s the freaking showstopper’s saree and you can’t find it?
NK shakes his head at the plight of some poor innocent soul.
ASR hangs up the phone in temper: I have hired freaking idiots. I should just fire the lot.
NK goes to ASR with open arms in his signature style: Nannav, mere bhai (My brother)… Do not fear when NK is here… I will fix everything for you…
ASR hears NK’s voice and his eyes widen. He turns to see NK smiling huge at him and coming to him with open arms.
ASR puts his hand on NK’s chest to stop him from hugging him: NK, when did you come here and why didn’t you call me before you landed?
(He thinks in his head: So that I could go out of town for the duration of your stay)
NK pushes to complete the hug, but unable to do so because of ASR’s hand on his chest: Nannav, if I had told you before, then how would I see the surprise on your face?
ASR (still holding him back with his palm): Next time let me know before you arrive and don’t call me Nannav.
NK gives up and moves back: Fine. (Brightens up) But now that I’m here, let’s get the party started…
ASR grimaces…


Aakash’s car, on the way to The Leela Palace:

Aakash and Payal go into Aakash’s car and drives to The Leela Palace. They keep taking glances at each other occasionally and both thinking how to ask the other what he/she feels…

Aakash (thinking): Should I ask her if she likes me? But what if she thinks her boss is harassing her? Why does not she ask me if I am in a relationship or not?
Payal (thinking): Is he in a relationship? After all, he is very handsome, smart, charming and successful. How can he be single? But if I ask and he thinks I’m being over eager?  Why does not he ask me if I’m in a relationship?
Aakash (thinking): Is she in a relationship? She is pretty, smart, sweet… What guy won’t want her. But how do I ask?

Devi Maiyya: Off ho… Useless people… Ask about hobbies, you morons…

Aakash clears his throat: Ehm, Payal…
Payal looks at him shyly: Yes?
Aakash: The weather is so nice today, isn’t it?

Nandi smacks his forehead…

Aakash also mentally smacks his forehead and thinks: Dude, you could not find something more original?
Payal blushes: Yes. I don’t mind Sunny days when I’m working indoors. But my favourite is cloudy days. They are very good for taking photographs.

Devi Maiyya: I swear if you don’t use this opportunity, I’ll make you give away Payal at her wedding…

Aakash grabs the opening with both hands: You like photography? What kind of picture do you like to take?
Payal (shyly): I’m not professional or anything. It’s just a hobby. I take picture of everything, but I love to take photography of nature. I find nature a fascinating subject as it always keeps changing.
Aakash (surprised and happy): Really? Wow… Another thing we have in common. I love nature too. I sometimes take my bike and go for hiking or camping in the middle of nowhere. It gives me a sense of freedom from the concrete jungle.
Payal (surprised): Wow… I do the same thing. I take my tomato and my camera and just go to different woods, valleys, mountains etc. to take pictures.
Aakash (delighted): Oh wow… Another thing we have in common, eh?
Payal (delighted): Yes.
Aakash (tentatively): Umm… Payal, I was wondering, if you’d like to come with me next time I go on a trip like that... You can bring your camera and take pictures. (Seeing Payal looking at him, hurriedly corrects) I mean you don’t have to if you’d rather not. After all, we have just met and you don’t know me that well. But I was wondering…
Payal (interrupts softly with a sweet smile): I’d love to come with you.
Aakash (still continueing): I mean you can bring your own tent and supply… (Realizes what she said, smiles big) You would? That’s awesome. I mean great…
Payal blushes and smiles.
Aakash (thoughts): Wow… we have a date. I mean I know we are going camping, but sorta like a date…
Payal (thoughts): Wow… we have a date. I mean I know we are going camping, but sorta like a date…


Devi Maiyya (smug at a job well done): Even their thoughts are same now… (pats herself on her back)…
Nandi, still smarting at the beef jerky trick, ignoring her.


Maharaja Suite, The Leela Palace:

ASR (irritated): Listen NK, I’m working here. So why don’t you go home, I’ll meet you there.
NK (Smiling big): No Nannav, Aakash has told me to wait here for him. He is gonna take me home.
ASR (mutters): I will kill you for saddling me with NK, Aakash… (Loudly) Then just sit on that couch and don’t talk. I am already tensed, so don’t disturb me.
NK (Worried): What happened Nannav? (nudges him) Come on, you can tell me. I’ll fix it…
ASR (sarcastically): No thanks. I will handle everything myself. I don’t want any more trouble than I already have…

Devi Maiyya (sheepish): Oops too late… Here comes trouble…

And… Khushi walks in…

PRECAP: ASR’s temperature rises…

2 comments:

  1. Hahahha!

    Beef jerky for Nandi! That's mean DM! ;p

    Awww. Nk is cutiepie here too. And nannav hates him here too?

    The saari huh? Nice very nice.

    Thank you for a thorough entertainer.

    JerryTheMouse

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww couldn't stop laughing.
    Ur updates jst change my mood.
    It was awesome.
    Loved the way NK helped.
    Loved Akash n Anjali date

    ReplyDelete