Saturday, September 22, 2012

Chapter 24


Maharaja Suite, The Leela Palace

David tried to relax Khushi for the shot: Khushi, please relax. It’s not hard. Just be yourself.
Khushi mutters angrily under her breath: Easy for you to say. Woh Laad Governor tumko thohi naa ghoor raha hain? (That Laad Governor isn’t staring at you)
She throws a sulking glance at still staring ASR. David sees the opportunity and clicks her picture.
Then he thinks of something while Khushi and ASR are busy in their staring match and walks up to NK: NK, I need your help.
NK tears his mesmerized gaze away from Khushi and sighs: What?
David says: Khushi has a very expressive face. Talk to Khushi about different things that will bring out the expressions. Make it more natural and candid.
NK beams at the prospect of chatting up Khushi: Done.
He walks up to Khushi but stays behind the camera and starts talking about his favourite subject - movies. That distracts Khushi away from ASR and she starts responding with her own vast knowledge of filmy dialogues. David starts clicking a pouting, sulking, smiling, laughing, frowning, scowling, funny, cute, romantic, sexy Khushi as she starts performing dialogues from her favourite movies.
ASR scowls at NK for barging into the shoot but forgets to shout at him when he sees Khushi at her vibrant best.  For some reason, he can’t take his eyes from her.
Not only ASR, but the entire unit can’t keep their eyes from this vibrant bundle of joy who is as colourful as life…
David is overjoyed at the result. This was the best photoshoot of his career. When a model has so many emotions so dictinctively displayed on her face, it makes a photographer’s work much easier.


The shoot ends for Khushi. David thanks Khushi for being such wonderful model.
He gives his card to Khushi and says: If you ever want to be a model, give me a call.
ASR scowls at David and strides to Khushi: Don’t you have to be at the NIFT today, Ms. Gupta? Get going.
Khushi scowls back: No thanks. I have taken today off as I’m already late.
ASR scowls at her: Fine. Then go home.
He turns to NK: NK, let’s go. I’ll drop you at home before I go back to work.
NK chirps: Nannav, you don’t have to bother. Khushi is going to drop me home.
ASR gets surprised and shouts: What?
Khushi retorts: Are you turning deaf too? (Then slowly inunciates each word) He… said… that… I… am… going…
ASR shouts: Shut up. I heard what he said. But why the hell are you dropping him home?
Khushi (wide eyed): Why? Do I need your permission to drop a guy home, uncle?
ASR leans close to her face and growls: Don’t you dare call me uncle, Miss Khushi Kumari Gupta.
Khushi leans more and growls: Then don’t you dare ask me what I do after work, Mr. Arnav Singh Raizada…
ASR growls: Fine.
Khushi growls back: Dandy…
NK intervenes slowly, careful of sparks flying between two equal opponents: Khushi, shall we go?
Khushi turns to NK and gives a sweet smile: Sure, NK. Let’s go.
She grabs NK’s hand and marches out of the suite.
ASR growls: Pack up
Then he storms out of the suite.


Devi Maiyya squeals: That’s why I love these two. It makes me remember my initial goddess days…
Nandi mutters: Yeah, we all know what you have done in those days.
Devi Maiyya (reminiscences): Sigh… those were the days. Kicking demon’s arses, going into different avatars with extensive wardrobes and accessories. These days the demons are too tame. No one wants to shake me up anymore. (Then giggles) Well, other than my husband… He shakes me up plenty… (snorts)…
Nandi puts his front hoofs on his ears: Na na na na na…. Don’t wanna hear those informations…
Devi Maiyya makes face: Of course not… Like every generation, you think you invented sex…


The other suite, Leela Palace:

Khushi changes back into her dress and come out with a bag.
She gives it to NK: NK, the saree and the earrings are in this bag. Could you please take it with you and give it to Mr. Raizada? I tried to call him, but my cell phone battery has died.
NK smiles: Ok. No problem.
Then Khushi smiles: Now let’s go shopping.


Parking Lot, ASR Designs:

Aakash stops his car and gets out. Payal smiles at him with a polite thanks and turns to go in.
Aakash stops Payal: Payal, I have noticed that suddenly you have become quiet on the way back. What is the matter? Is everything okay?
Payal gives him a wan smile: Nothing. I’m just tired.
Aakash gets worried: Are you feeling okay? If you are sick, you can go home. I will drop you. Why don’t you cancel your appointments and I’ll…
Payal interrupts: No no, Aakash. I’m fine. No need to worry. I will have my lunch and finish my work. If I need to leave early, I will let you know.
Aakash gives her a small smile: Okay. As you wish. Then I will go home. I’ll spend some time with NK.
Payal nods: Sounds good.
Aakash starts to leave but then turns back: Ummm… Payal, are we still on for the trip tomorrow?
Payal thinks for an excuse but can’t find any. So she nods: Okay.
Aakash smiles back: Okay then I’ll pick you up from your home.
Payal thinks of Khushi. She says: No. Pick me up from here.
Aakash is surprised: What? But tomorrow is Saturday.
Payal hastily replies: Yes, but I have to come here tomorrow anyway to sign some pending documents. So it will be better if we leave from here.
Aakash agrees reluctantly: Okay then. I will see you here. We’ll take my bike. You can leave your scooter here.
Payal nods: Okay. (Then smiles) See you tomorrow.
Payal walks into the cafeteria thinking: I’ll have to talk to Khushi tonight. If she has feelings for Aakash, then I’ll make some excuses to not go to the trip tomorrow.
She takes out her Blackberry and texts Khushi: Khushi, come home early tonight. I need to talk to you. It’s urgent. Love Jiji.


Nandi (sad): Oh, my Payal is such a wonderful sister. But sweetheart, sometimes you should think about yourself. (suddenly brightens up) But when she talks to Khushi, she will know that Khushi wants Aakash to be with Payal. Right?
Devi Maiyya sneers: I have been observing humans for years, my dear. Never underestimate the sheer stupidity of human brain…


Parking Lot, The Leela Palace:

Khushi brings Daisy to the front entrance and gets out: NK, meet Daisy. Daisy, meet my new friend, NK…
NK smiles: Very nice to meet you Daisy.
Khushi beams: Let’s load your stuff and go.
NK loads his suitcase and carry all on Daisy and then they leave for shopping.


Shaantivan:

Aakash arrives at Shaantivan and sees Mamiji and Naniji are sitting at the living room.
He asks Naniji: Dadi, where is NK bhai?
Naniji looks at Aakash surprisedly: NK? Why would he be here?
Aakash looks at them surprised: What? You mean he has not arrived yet?
Mamiji asks: Hello hi bye bye, Aakash. Has NK come to India?
Aakash nods: Yes. But I thought he would have come home by now.
Naniji smiles: May be he got distracted or went for sight seeing. It’s okay.
Aakash nods: No problem Dadi. I will go freshen up until he comes here.
Naniji smiles: Okay.

Front Entrance, Shaantivan:

Khushi parks her Daisy and NK and her gets out. Khushi looks at NK in surprise: This is your home?
NK nods: Actually, this is my masi’s home. I mean Aakash’s home. I’m here to stay for a while.
Khushi squeals in happiness and hugs him tight: I’m so happy. It’s perfect.
NK is happy at the hug and asks excitedly: Really? (then thoughtfully) Why?
Khushi piles the shopping bags on NK’s arms and drags him inside: I’ll tell you. Come with me.
NK and Khushi stumble into the living room with bunch of shopping bags.
Nani gets up hearing the commotion and sees Khushi. She smiles happily: Khushi bitiya?
Khushi squeals back: Naniji…
Then she skips to her and gives her a tight hug.
Naniji giggles at her enthusiasm: How are you bitiya?
Khushi smiles: I’m good.
Then she squeals: Hello Hi Bye Bye mamiji…
Mamiji stops her at her tracks: Okay okay.
NK comes to Khushi and asks: Khushi, you know my family?
Khushi smiles: Yep.
NK smiles: That’s great.
Mamiji gets upset at being ignored: Hello hi bye bye, NK bitwa. Greet your masi first.
NK smiles and hugs mamiji and then hugs Naniji.
Then he looks around: Is Aakash here?
Naniji smiles: He was. He just went to freshen up.
Khushi brightens up: What a great idea. NK, go freshen up.
NK (flabbergasted): Huh? Why?
Khushi pushes him: You have been in those clothes since you left Canada. You’ll start to stink in a minute. Go freshen up.
NK (confused): Okay. You wait here Khushi, I’ll go freshen up.
Khushi beams: I’m not going anywhere.
NK leaves with his luggage throwing confused looks at her.


Khushi then runs to Naniji and Mamiji: I have a proposal for you.
Naniji and mamiji’s eyes open wide: Huh? What proposal?
Khushi’s eyes brighten: Proposal for marriage.


Nandi (wide eyed): Huh? How could she? She is trying to steal my Payal’s Aakash? What kind of sister she is?
Devi Maiyya retorts: There are other men in that house than Aakash, you know? My Khushi does not need to steal anyone’s love.
Nandi (relieved): Oh, NK… Yep, she and Nk will make the perfect couple.
Devi Maiyya slaps her forehead…


Hindi Word Hints:
Nani – Maternal Grandmother (So Devyani Raizada is Arnav’s Nani as in mother’s mother)
Dadi – Paternal Grandmother (So Devyani Raizada is Aakash’s Dadi as in father’s mother)

2 comments:

  1. Superb, wonderful, brilliant Tia. Loved it. Poor Payal. She thinks that Khushi is in love with Akash when Khushi is trying to pair PAYASH and ASR is angry that Khushi is dropping NK off. Has the jealousy track for ASR started?

    This truly is amazing story Tia. One of my all time favorites. Waiting eagerly for next part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super update! Hope Khushi sorts out the confusion for poor payal.

    ReplyDelete