Friday, November 23, 2012

Chapter 32


Close to Aravalli Range, out of the city line

Payal cleans up their supply and then Aakash pats his side where he was sitting beside the fire.
Payal walks to him and sits down by his side. Aakash looks at Payal and says, “I had a wonderful time today. Thanks to you.”
Payal smiles, “Thanks to you too. It was a special day.”
Aakash gathers courage and asks: Payal, do you have someone special in your life?
Payal looks at him in surprise but answers shyly: Not yet. And you?
Aakash smiles sheepishly: I had girlfriends before and few of them were even serious. But I never had someone with whom I could see my life ahead. Tell me about you. What kind of man would you like to have in your life?
Payal replies with a soft smile: I don’t have a lot of demand from a man. I’m a pretty content person. Just someone kind, sweet, loving, caring, a good family man. But if I can really have more, I’d like to have someone who loves nature as much as I do. (Payal blushes)
Aakash (thinks): Wow… Is she talking about me? Should I ask?
As he opens his mouth to ask, Payal asks: And what about you? What kind of person do you see as your future partner?
Aakash (thinks): Now is my chance. (Says aloud) Well, I’m also sorta content person. I would like to be with someone who makes me happy, who doesn’t mind having fun but at the same time responsible, patient and caring. Family is important to me, so she should be able to like my family if not love them. She also should be a today’s woman but someone who hasn’t lost touch with tradition and values. And if I get a nature lover like me, it would be the icing on the cake. (Looks at Payal to guage her reaction).
Payal’s eyes sparkle thinking that the description fits her perfectly and she was about to open her mouth to say what’s in her heart. But then she remembers that the description fits Khushi as well, except the nature loving part. But then, Aakash didn’t say that the woman he marries must be a nature lover. It would be nice if she is, but if she isn’t, then it’s fine too. She decides that she won’t say anything until she has a chance to talk to Khushi.
Aakash notices Payal’s expression and worries in thoughts: Did she get the hint? Or did she get it but doesn’t like me.
Both sit in the peaceful night under the blanket of stars by the fire pondering about each other’s thoughts.



Nandi (clutching his horns, extremely frustrated): *His mouth moving minus sound*
Devi Maiyya (Raises her brow): Why are you not talking?
Nandi furiously points at his mouth indicating her trick to leave him without sound.
Devi Maiyya remembers: Ah… Here you go.
Nandi (furious): Urrrrrggghhhh… What is wrong with the humans? Why do you make everything so complicated? Why do you have to look for hidden meanings when one simple question solves the issue?
Devi Maiyaa (nods wisely): Well, that’s exactly how I used to be in my initial days when all the Gods created me to kick tush of that demon. I had the same question and same level of frustration. But you see, being a smart, wise and extremely efficient woman, I have learned to channel my frustration and not throw tantrums and diva attitude anymore.
Nandi’s eyes widen: What? You don’t throw tantrums? Then who the heaven destroyed an entire city of demons because she was in a snit?  These days around here, DIVA spells DEVI…
Devi Maiyya (grits her teeth): No I do not. How dare you? And that thing about the demons was just a misunderstanding. But when my husband stopped me, I stopped, didn’t I?
Nandi (snickers, rolls his eyes): Yeah, he stopped you alright. He had to lie down so you could stop realizing who you have stomped on in your temper.
Devi Maiyya (Turning blue in anger): I said sorry for that. If someone say sorry, you forgive and forget. That’s the rule. Everybody knows I’m the Goddess of good temper.
Nandi (realizing potential trouble at that blue colour, hurriedly replies): Yes, ma’m.
Devi Maiyya throws him a suspicious glance and sucks on her pepsi furiously.



Bukhara, Chanakyapuri

The platters arrive.
Khushi grabs the knife and fork and starts eating.
NK whispers: I don’t think I can eat with Nannav looking at me like a hungry wolf about to pounce on his prey.
Khushi (busy stuffing her mouth mumbles): I eat more when I’m nervous. Besides the faster you eat, the faster we leave. So start chewing.
NK starts gulping down the kababs following Khushi’s example.
ASR looks at them and smirks: Wow, I always wanted to see a pair of chipmunks eat. I never thought I’d have that view in New Delhi.
Khushi’s cheeks were poofed up with food. But her eyes narrow and flash dangerously promising future retribution.
NK looks at Khushi attacking food like she is on a mission and continues his part in it.
Khushi was just attacking a particularly tasty kabab and a moan comes out of her mouth at the succulent taste. Her eyes close in divine pleasure and a blissful expression come in her face.
ASR looks at her expression intently and thinks to himself: Is she doing it purposely or she is that oblivious?
He looks at NK to see he has also stopped eating and gawking Khushi like a adolescent boy with his first crush. He grits his teeth at NK, but he is busy watching Khushi…
Khushi licks her lips of the kabab juice, leaving it glistening with moisture and two pairs of throats go dry at the view.
ASR chokes at his sip of Lassi and NK swallows hard his unchewed bite.
Something gets stuck on NK’s thoat and he starts choking.
Khushi drops the fork and turns to NK. She starts thumping his back and gives him a glass of water: Are you okay?
NK looks at her with tear-filled eyes due to choking and says: Khushiji, you are like an angel. You saved my life.
Khushi smiles and continues to rub his back.
ASR grits his teeth in irritation and barks: Oh for heaven’s sake, she didn’t save you. She just got you a glass of water.
(Turns to Khushi) And you, get your hand off him.
Khushi withdraws her hand and scowls at him.
NK looks at ASR miserably to indicate he didn’t mind her hands on him but ASR’s glare stops him at his track.
They finish their food and before NK or Khushi can take their money out, ASR takes out his credit card to pay the bill. The waiter gives him his card and slip back.
Khushi asks for her own bill.
ASR scowls at her: I paid it.
Khushi furiously whispers: You pay your bill. But I pay my own way.
Khushi asks the waiter to refund her portion of the bill and to get her own bill.
The waiter tells her that he can’t do it as the transaction has gone through.
Khushi frowns: Fine. (Turns to ASR) Then take the money out of my salary.
ASR raises his brow but keeps his mouth shut.
NK asks brightly: So Nannav, you are now going back to office right? I will be home later.
Khushi brightens up as well.
ASR smirks: Actually, I thought about what you said this morning and I realized, since you are here, I should spend time with my family. So let’s go home and spend family time.
NK stammers: What? I mean, we can spend time tomorrow too, right? Besides, I have to drop Khushiji home.
ASR smirks his evil smile: Don’t worry about that. You go home and wait for me. I will drop Khushi home and meet you there. She won’t care whether I drop her or not because I don’t exist for her.
Khushi opens her mouth in a “O”: What? No. I will go with NKji.
ASR raises his brow: Why? Does it mean my presence makes you uncomfortable?
Khushi indignant: Of course not.
ASR smirks: Great. So it’s decided. NK, you go home and I will join you after I drop Khushi.
ASR grabs Khushi’s hand and pulls her out of the restaurant leaving a splattering NK behind.





Nandi (indignant): What a ham-handed approach. Couldn’t he ask her nicely?
Devi Maiyya still irritated munching on her popcorn.
Nandi (continues): And look how he dragged her out of the restaurant as if she is his own property.
Devi Maiyya’s scowl gets deeper.
Nandi (digs a deeper hole): I think NK suits her better than ASR anyway. In fact… Moo moo…
Nandi’s eyes widen at the weird sound coming off his mouth and looks at Devi Maiyya…
Devi Maiyya (innocent cherubic face): I think Mooing suits you better anyway… Everyone should stick to the things that suit them.
Nandi scowls and moos in his mind: Why the heaven do I open my mouth around her anyway?


3 comments:

  1. ROFL!!!!!! Haha.. That was hilarious ! Nandi and DM rock!,

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG DM & nandi r toooo good.....their convoz r soo damn hilarious!!!!

    Hmmm.....Az claiming his haq....unknowingly but still claiming it.......poor NK....

    Aa & P....becharey.....lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Urgh! Complicated souls Payash are! For heaven sake spell it out! Won't hurt anyone!!

    And Asr is Asr khushi is khushi egos at their best!! Only if a rabba ve happens they.ll sort out! But I guess rabba ve is happening oly frm one side! When both the chords hit it right! Beautiful music will play!
    Poor Nk try your hand elsewhere, coz this ones taken n a forbidden land for you! :(

    And Dm n nandi can neva stay in the same diameter!! Bound to rebel!

    Cheers
    Twilightstar_JP

    ReplyDelete