Saturday, August 25, 2012

Chapter 12



Monday morning, ASR Designs:
Rohit arrives at ASR Designs. He asks for Maddy at the reception. Sarah leads him to Maddy's Designing Studio…

Maddy's Studio:




Maddy greeted him Good Morning and as per ASR's instruction took him straight to the top floor…
Rohit's heart beat increases steadily as the glass elevator climbs to the top floor of ASR Design, also popularly known in the fashion world as Lion's Den…
Maddy knocks on the glass door of ASR's office. A deep baritone voice booms from inside: Come in Maddy…
Rohit looks shocked to Maddy. Maddy tells him: This entire floor is built with one sided glass. He can see everything but no one can see him…
Rohit gulps and enters the room.
ASR was sitting behind the massive desk… He looks up from his MAC and tells Maddy: I'd like to talk to Rohit. You may leave.
Maddy was surprised but leaves the room anyway… Everyone knows the most important rule to work in ASR Designs… YOU NEVER SAY NO TO OR ASK FOR EXPLANATION FROM ASR…
Rohit feels his knees are going to give up anytime. ASR looks at him and nods to him indicating to take a seat.
Rohit drops on the chair and swallows hard: Sir… It's an honour for
ASR (Frowns): Yeah yeah… Rohit, I need some information from you. I'm sure you will be happy to give them to me…
Rohit gulps: Information? Ummm… Yes, sure sir…
ASR (leans forward & pins his piercing gaze on poor Rohit): I want information about your show stopper…
Rohit (Squirms trying to remember what he knows about Nahala): Umm sure… Nahala is a umm… model… She recently ummm… coloured her hair blond… She has umm gone size 2 to size umm… 6…
ASR (Irritated): Not Nahala… The girl who ended up being your show stopper.
Rohit (All smiles as he knows more about Khushi than Nahala): Oh Khushi…
ASR (Raises his brow): Khushi…
Rohit (Happy to share his knowledge about Khushi): Yes. She is Khushi Kumari Gupta… She is in first year of NIFT. She is studying Fashion Designing. She was the one who organized the event. Since she joined NIFT, she has been organizing all events. She is a great friend sir… She is a gem of a person. Everyone loves her… And…
ASR (Stops him): Humm… A paragon of virtue, I see. You can leave now Rohit…
Rohit stutters: Yes sir, of course sir…
He scrambles to his feet…
ASR: And Rohit…
Rohit turns back anxiously…
ASR: Call me ASR…
Rohit nods his head vigorously: Yes sir.. I mean ASR…
He hurries out ASR's office and murmurs a quick prayer having survived his first encounter with ASR…


ASR sways his chair and smirks: Khushi Kumari Gupta… You will learn soon that no one runs from ASR…
He picks up the phone and dials Aman: Aman, call the dean of NIFT. We have decided to hire another intern. Her name is Khushi Kumari Gupta. She is in first year Fashion Designing. I want her in a one year contract. And make it ironclad… You know which one I'm talking about… Don't make stupid excuses. I want results… And make it fast. I want her working here by next week. And oh yes, make sure she does not suspect a thing until the contract is signed…
ASR hangs up the phone and picks up a crystal paperweight. He twirls the paperweight and as the lights reflect on it, he remembers his encounters with Khushi including him holding her close and looking into her eyes and getting lost…
Since last Saturday night, he has not been able to sleep without dreaming of Khushi and waking up hot and bothered. Never in his life he has reacted to someone as strongly as to that girl.
Suddenly he bangs the paperweight on his table… As the paperweight twirls on the glass top, he stares at it angrily and concludes: You are in my head because no one has ever dared to challenge ASR… Let's see how long you last…
Devi Maiyya drinking Amrit (Nector of Gods) from Golden Goblet: Oh don't worry about her lasting… She is a durable and reliable product if I may say so myself… Let's see how long you can hold onto yourself before falling hard…


Khushi's Bedroom, Gupta House… 7:00 p.m.
Khushi is lying down on her bed on her tummy in her Hello Kitty nightshirt and reading a harlequin romance about an arrogant hero and a feisty heroine when ASR and her meeting flashes in her mind…

Khushi's Nightshirt:




She gets irritated and tries to concentrate on her book, but again ASR's eyes flashes in her mind. She sits up on the bed and throws her book aside.
Khushi: Why am I thinking of that Laad Governor? I will not think about him…
She looks at the huge Salman Khan poster on her wall…
Khushi smiles happily: Now you on the other hand, I'd love to think about.
She blows a kiss to the poster and goes to sleep…
And… dreams of ASR…
Devi Maiyya hums: Dil Hain Ke Maanta Nehin…
(Heart never listens)


Connaught Place, New Delhi… 7:00 p.m.
Aakash and Payal finishes meeting with one of the shops interested in carrying ASR Designs.
They are feeling pretty happy after finalizing the deal on their terms…
As they get out, they notice that it is raining…
Aakash: Payal, would you like to have tea?
Payal: Now? Aakash, it's quite late. My parents might worry.
Aakash: Then call them and let them know… It's raining quite a bit so it will take time to go home anyway. I will drop you afterwards.
Payal (worried): But my Tomato?
Aakash (confused): Tomato? You need to shop for groceries?
Payal (laughs): No no… Tomato is my red scooty. My younger sister names everything. She named my scooty Tomato as it is red like Tomato…
Aakash (laughs out loud): That's funny. I have to meet your younger sister someday…
Payal (mock surprised): Oh my, you want to meet our Titliya? You are a brave man…
Aakash: That's her name? Titliya?
Payal (smiles): No, she has another formal name. But Buaji calls her Titliya, sanka devi, parmeshwari and what not… She is a tad crazy… Always gets into trouble… But we adore her. She is my little darling…
Aakash (Gets the impression of a little girl): Oh how sweet. I always wanted a sister to pamper. But I don't even have girl cousins let alone sisters…
Payal (Remembering): Me too… That's why when I met my sister for the first time, I felt my family was complete…
Aakash (confused again): You met your sister? Don't you mean when she was born?
Payal (smiles sadly): I did not know her when she was born. She was six when her birth parents died. She was mom's sister's daughter. Mom and Dad adopted her and brought her home. I have loved her since I first saw her looking at me with her big doe eyes. Woh tabse meri gudiya hain… (She is my doll since then).
Aakash's face softens with admiration: That's amazing story Payal… I'd love to meet her someday.
Payal smiles back softly: May be you will…
Aakash smiles back.
Payal (suddenly shy and blushing): Ummm… I will call mom and dad and let them know that I will be late.
Aakash (smiles): Do that. And don't worry about Tomato. I will drop you tonight and pick you up for work tomorrow.
Payal (smiles): It's okay. I will manage tomorrow. If you just drop me tonight that will be great…
Aakash: Sounds good…
Payal calls Garima and lets her know that she will be late.
After she hangs up the phone, they get into Aakash's car…
Aakash: Payal, today I will take you to a place which makes the best tea in Delhi.
Payal: Really?
Aakash stops his car in front of a small roadside Tea stall.

Tea Stall:




Payal looks at him surprised. Aakash looks at her and smiles: What?
Payal: Aap thele se chai pite hain?
(You drink tea from roadside stalls?)
Aakash (Surprised): Haan… toh?
(Yes, so what?)
Payal: No. I mean… You are from such a rich family. I would have never guessed that you ever ate roadside stuff…
Aakash: Actually, you are kinda right. Bhai won't be caught dead in a roadside stall. But I love roadside food. So I eat them. I missed them a lot when I was in USA. Aur waise bhi khana achcha hone se matlab hain, expensive hone se nehin… (And moreover, the point is to get a tasty food not an expensive food)
Payal's face glows with a big smile: That's very true. Let's have the best tea in Delhi…
Aakash (Beams back): Let's go…
They get to the tea stall owner. The owner, Raju greets Aakash like old friend: Hey Aakash bhai… Kaisan ho? Sab thik thak?
(Aakash bhai, how are you… Everything okay?)
Aakash smiles: Haan Raju bhai. Sab badiya hain… Raju bhai, do chai dena…
(Yes Raju bhai… Everything is good. Get us two teas please.)
Payal (smiles to Raju): Raju bhai, namaste. Humne suna ki aapki chai Delhi mein sabse best chai hain. To hamare liye bhi ek ho jaaye? Bina doodh ek chamach sakkar ke saath kadakwali…
(Raju bhai, greetings. I heard that your tea is the best tea in Delhi. So get one for me too? One strong tea without milk and one sugar please)
Aakash looks at Payal surprised…
Raju (smiles at Payal): Namaste madamji… Arre wah… Aapko bhi wohi chai pasand hain jo Aakash bhai ko pasand hain…
(Greetings madam… Oh wow… You like the same tea that Aakash bhai likes)
Payal looks at Aakash surprised…
Then they smile at each other and sit under the tree right beside the tea stall…
Both were thinking about the weird coincidences and steals occasional glances at each other…
The tea was served. They keep talking and drinking tea and were pleasantly surprised to find that they have a lot in common. They like the same thing, have the same view of life, love same kind of music…
Suddenly Payal notices her watch: Oh God… 9 baj gaye. Humme abhi chalna chahiye Aakash.
(Oh God… It's 9 o'clock. We should go now Aakash)
Aakash (surprised): 9 baj gaye? Waqt kaise gujra pata hi nehin chala…
(It's 9 already? I totally lost track of time)
Payal (Shy): Haan, humme bhi pata nehin chala… To ab ghar chale?
(Yes, I lost track of time too… Shall we go home now?)
Aakash (reluctant but understanding): Achcha, chalo.
Payal (Smiles sweetly): Thank you… (Looks at Raju) Aakash sahi keh rahe the Raju bhai. Yeh sach mein Delhi ki best chai hain… (Aakash was right Raju bhai… This is truly Delhi's best tea)
Raju (Smiles at Payal): Ji sukriya madamji… Phir aaiyega… (Thank you madam.. come again)
Payal (smiles): Ji zaroor. (Yes sure)
Payal goes to the car and Aakash goes to Raju's stall to give him back his cup.
Raju leans to Aakash: Aakash bhai, humri maano to madam se shaadi kar lo… Inhe lagta hain Devi Maiyya ne aaphi ke liye banaya hain…
(Aakash bhai, marry madamji. It seems the Goddess has made her just for you)
Aakash smiles at Raju and leans to him: To Raju bhai, bhagake le jaaye?
(So Raju bhai, shall we elope?)
Raju winks: Neki aur pooch pooch?
(Why ask? Just do it)
Aakash laughs: Chalte hain Raju bhai. Phir aayenge…
(I'm leaving Raju bhai. Will come again later)
Raju: Aur madamji ko bhi le aana…
(Bring madamji with you too)
Aakash: Haan haan… Agar woh aayee, to unko bhi le aayenge…
(Yes yes… If she agrees, I will bring her again)
Aakash turns to go to the car and sees Payal sitting on the passenger seat talking to someone on the phone and laughing… His heart starts beating fast…
He wonders: Am I falling in love with Payal?
Payal hangs up the phone and smiles at him…
Aakash smiles back and thinks: May be I am…

Aakash drives Payal home.
As they get close to the turning to her home, Payal thinks Aakash will have hard time turning his car in the cal-de-sac this late in the night. She winces remembering how many times Khushi hit Daisy on neighbour's mailbox and then thinks of Aakash's expensive sports car. She decides to walk the rest of the way herself…
Payal: Aakash, please stop your car here.
Aakash stops in front of a cul de sac and looks at this house.

House:




He thinks that's Payal house.
Aakash takes off his seat belt to walk her to the door.
Payal: There's no need to get out Aakash. Hum to pahuch hi gaye hain. Hum chale jayenge… (I have reached here already. I can manage from here)
Aakash (worried that he is not seeing her to her door): Are you sure?
Payal (smiles): Haan… Hum aapse kal office mein milte hain. (Yes, I will see you at the office tomorrow) Thanks for a lovely evening.
Aakash smiles: Thanks to you too for spending your evening with me.
Payal gets out and waves Aakash good bye.
As Aakash drives away, she walks to her home all the way thinking about Aakash and blushing…
Payal thinks: Aakash is such a wonderful man. He is so rich but so down to earth…
Her heart starts beating faster as she remembers his sweet smile and gentle nature.
Payal wonders: Kya humme Aakash se pyaar ho raha hain?
(Am I falling in love with Aakash?)
Payal thinks of Aakash's eyes softened with laughter as he heard about Tomato…
Payal smiles softly: Shayad haan… (May be yes)…

Devi Maiyya: Yes, yes, yeeesss… Woo hoo… One is on the track and now the other…

PRECAP: KHUSHI GETS AN UNEXPECTED JOB OFFER FROM ASR DESIGNS…




No comments:

Post a Comment