Saturday, August 25, 2012

Chapter 18



Khushi checks her watch and decides to leave for NIFT. So she goes to ASR's office and knocks on the door.
Khushi (grumpy): I need to leave now for my institute. I will come back tomorrow.
ASR (poker faced): Okay, fine. But I have your tasks for tomorrow. See those books over there? Read them and then analyse the files beside them with the theories and write separate reports on each file in word document single spaced in Arial size 11 font. I need this done by tomorrow morning when I arrive.
Khushi sees the stack of books and files gobsmocked…

Books:




Files:




Khushi stammers: But… but… I made very clear that I will only do part-time work because I need to finish my studies.
ASR (raises his one brow): So when did I stop you from leaving? But you chatted with the gateman this morning and wasted time unnecessarily. Now you will have to pay the price. I don't care when or how you do it. You can take the company laptop with you to do your tasks. But I need them at my desk when I arrive tomorrow morning.
Khushi (fuming): Fine.
She stomps out the door.
ASR leans back on his chair and smirks: Now we will see if your brain runs as fast as your mouth…
Devi Maiyya (rolling her eyes): Lo bolo… Maine kya isi liye Khushi ko fashion show mein iske god mein giraya tha? Aise to inka kuch nehin honewala. Mujhe hi kuch karna padega…
(Did I make Khushi fall on his lap for this? If they continue like this, nothing will happen between them. I will have to intervene)
Nandi sitting by her feet, munching on fresh grass imported from Newzealand, nods vigorously…

NIFT, New Delhi:
Khushi misses her classes that day as she managed to get there finally after making several trips up and down, getting the files in her car.
When she reaches NIFT, she sees her gang sitting at the canteen. She plops her exhausted self in a chair and puts her head on the table.
KT (Worried): Hey Khush, what happened yaar?
Maze (gently places his hand on Khushi's bowed head): Khush? Did something happen at work?
Khushi gets her head up from the table and bursts into tears alarming her friends. Slowly she narrates the story to them.
Maze (pulls Khushi into his arm like a baby while his eyes were still burning with anger): Don't worry, Khush… We are here for you… I knew when I heard the job offer, there was something fishy there. But I kept my mouth shut because I did not want to upset Khush. But I did not know that he will turn out to be such a jerk.
AJ fumes: What an a**hole…
Jiggy (angry probably for the first time in life): Yeah… I should have known when I saw him…
KT (boiling): Khush, you just tell me and I will personally break his legs for you… See if I don't…
Maze (the only one with a cool head): Calm down guys and KT, you keep your breaking and popping ideas to yourself. We will have to deal with it in a calm and planner manner.
KT: But we gotta do something. We can't let him get away with this?
Maze: He is a powerful man so he won't hesitate to take advantage of his position.  We will deal with him the way he is used on Khush. Jiggy, you call Rohit and ask him if he needs volunteers in ASR Designs. We all will go there to volunteer. It's free labour. So he should not have problem convincing Maddy. Also tell him that our motive is gaining practical experience in ASR Designs.
Jiggy nods: I'm on it.
Maze turns to KT and AJ: We all will help Khush to finish her task today. He has asked her to type the report so who does it does not matter. I don't care how long it will take, but we will finish it by tonight, so she can print them out and put the work on his desk before he arrives.
Once we get into ASR Designs, then we will deal with ASR himself.
Everyone agrees to the plan except Khushi.
Khushi (worried): I don't want you guys to get into trouble because of me. Please don't do anything that will get you into trouble.
Maze smiles at Khushi: Khush, we are your friends. We can't let any jerk to treat you like ASR treated you. Besides, I always thought that if I had a little sister, she would have been like you. And I swear to Allah, no one will put even a wrinkle on my baby's forehead.
Khushi jumps on Maze and hugs him tight: I love you too Maze…
Maze smiles and hugs her back: I know Khush…
KT (pretending to be tough while hiding tears): Oh boo hoo… How emotional. Where is a Bollywood movie maker when we need one? What about me Maze? Can you be your baby too?
AJ (sneers at KT): Oh yeah, the queen of sentiments, KT… You can't be sister, but I'm sure Maze would love to have you as his brother… You know like Bhai (Mumbai word for Hooligans). What about it, Maze?
Maze laughs at them, still with his arms around Khushi: Stop you guys.
Khushi laughs while wiping her tears: I love you all… Group hugs.
KT (sighs): Great… Just what we needed to make this pukey scene complete.
But moves in for a hug anyway.
Jiggy comes dancing in: We got in, we got in. Rohit convinced Maddy and now we are all going to ASR Designs.
They all cheer but Khushi makes them stop…
Khushi holds her hand forward: All for one,
One by one everyone puts their palm on hers and screams together: One for All…
Then they pull their palm up to complete the cheer.
Devi Maiyya rubs her hand in glee: Chalo, kaam ho gaya…
(Finally, my work is done)

Next morning, ASR Designs:
Khushi comes to work early to drop the work at ASR's desk. Then checks the watch for time and goes down to meet Payal. Payal was going to kitchen to grab a cup of coffee so she asks Khushi to tag along.
After grabbing their coffee, they were coming out of kitchen and they saw Aakash and Aman was coming towards them.
Khushi chirps: Hi…
Aakash and Aman both smile and greet them.
Aakash: So Khushi, how did you like your first day in ASR Designs?
Khushi (makes faces): Like an Israeli in Hitler's Germany, like a democrate in a republicans' meet, like an ice cream cone in Sahara…
Aakash laughs out loud: Maddy is that scary, eh?
Khushi (wide eyed): Maddy? Nope. I have not even met him yet. It's my khadoos (jerk) boss, Arnav Singh Raizada…
Aakash (surprised): What? Your boss is bhai?
Khushi (sad face): Yup. Aur woh bhi Munna bhai nehin; Gabbar bhai, Mugambo bhai, Shakaal bhai…
(That too *Names of most notorious Bollywood villains*; not sweet, Gandhi follower Munna Bhai)
Aman hides his chuckle behind his files…
Aakash laughs too: I like your spunk. I'm sure you won't have any problems. (winks at her, then looks at Payal with a different smile) Bye Payal
Payal blushes: Bye…
Aman says shyly: All the best Khushiji…
Khushi nods to both of them: Thanks Aakash. Thanks Amanji…
Aakash and Aman get into the elevator.
Khushi turns to Payal and squeals: Isn't he so amazingly handsome, Jiji?
Payal looks at Khushi horrified, thinking she is talking about Aman again: Handsome? Him? No…
Khushi (horrified too): What? You can't see the awesomeness of that handsome hunk? Are you nuts? You seriously need glasses urgently…
Payal (Mutters): Yup, then we will both look handy dandy specsy couple…
(Note: Both Aman and Aakash wear specs, only different style)…
Khushi in dreamland: Yeah…. Won't that be awesome?
Payal (scowls): No freaking way. (She leaves in a huff)
Khushi shouts after her: Jiji, suno toh… (Jiji, listen naa)
But Payal does not stop until she gets into her office.
Khushi (confused on her way up): Jiji bhi kitni ajeeb hain… Itna handsome aadmi, itna sweet nature, itna pyaara smile… Unko dikhai kyun nehin deta?
(Jiji is so weird… Such a handsome guy, such sweet nature, such lovely smile… why can't she see it?)
Payal (confused in her room): Khushi bhi kitni ajeeb hain… Usse Aman handsome dikhta hain? Lagta hain usse hi chashma dilana padega…
 (Khushi is so weird… She thinks Aman is handsome? I think she needs specs soon)…
Devi Maiyya (slaps her head): You both need specs soon… For your brain… Hey me, why do I get saddled with morons?


No comments:

Post a Comment