Saturday, August 25, 2012

Chapter 16



Khushi squeezes her eyes shut and chants: Oh no no no no... Khushi, you are not seeing him. This must be a nightmare. You need to wake up... Laad Governor can not be your boss...
She hears a furious voice ask her: Excuse me? What did you call me?
She opens one eye and sees him glaring at her in anger. She closes her eyes shut tightly chanting: Devi Maiyya, Devi Maiyya...

Devi Maiyya, about to pop a fistful of popcorn in her mouth, freezes for a second: Eh?

Khushi then opens both her eyes gathering her courage: Yo-ou? You can't be my boss...
Arnav sneers: Oh, but I am...
Khushi (now angry): But you said you won't hire me.
Arnav leans forward: Well, guess what? I changed my mind.
Khushi now fuming trying to straighten up to match his impressive height towering over her: Well, guess what? I have not changed my mind. I still don't want to work for you even if you are the last person in the world. I quit as of today.
She whirled and about to go out when a hard hand shots out and grabs her arm tightly: Not so soon, Khushi Kumari Gupta. May be you'd like to take a look at the contract you signed before you quit?
Khushi turns back to see ASR has picked up a red file from his desk and held it out to her: You know how to read English, right? Then go ahead and read this.
Khushi angrily snatches the file from his hand and opens it to read it. As she is about to read ASR interrupts her: Let me help you with that. According to the contract you have signed, you can't quit or resign from this job for a year as well as can't say no to any task I assign for you. If you don't comply with the terms and conditions of this contract, then you will owe ASR Designs i.e. me, One Crore rupees (Rs. 10,000,000) as compensation for breaking this contract. (ASR smirks)
Khushi was shocked to hear the terms of the contract. She looks up: But that's not fair. What kind of contract is this? This is not a job, its slavery...
ASR smirks: Well, Ms. Gupta... Who said life is fair? It looks like I have hired a slave then...
He goes back to his chair and sits down: Now don't waste my time with your chitchat and grab me a coffee, black with no sugar... Oh and by the way, also grab me today's newspaper.
Khushi is beyond pissed: Tell your PA. I'm not your secretary. I'm your intern.
ASR (pretends to be thinking): Hummm... Did I mention that in the contract? No... come to think of it, I did not mention it. I just said that you have been hired by ASR Designs and you will perform all the duties that will be assigned to you... You can read the contract to verify or take it to your lawyer...
Khushi grabs the contract and was about to tear it up when ASR interrupts again: Uh-uh... I won't do that. You see, it's a waste of your time and effort. That's just a copy. I have the original somewhere safe.
Khushi fumes for a minute, and then suddenly gives her blinding smile at ASR. ASR is surprised at the sudden change of attitude.
Khushi keeps smiling: Good strategy. I will give you this one.
She comes towards ASR's desk and plops her palms on his glass table and leans forward: If you think that you have scared me off and I will beg you to spare me, you are wrong. You don't know who you have challenged Mr. Arnav Singh Raizada. I will drive you so crazy that just to save your sanity, you will yourself fire me from ASR Designs.
Arnav leans forward and looks into her wide eyes still brimming with anger: Challenge accepted Khushi Kumari Gupta.
Khushi straightens up and raises one perfectly arched brow: The game is on... Let's see who wins and who loses...
Arnav leans back: We'll see. Now if you don't mind, the coffee please?
Khushi's eyes flash dangerously and she storms out of his office.
As the glass door closes with a loud bang, Devi Maiyya jumps with her popcorn and pepsi flying in the air: Oyeee... I need more supply of Iced Tea too... Someone go to Lipton and get me some...
(Then she rethinks) On second thought, never mind. I will handle the owner. He will supply his stock to please me, I'm sure. (smiles big)


Khushi gets out of ASR's office and fumes: Laad Governor kahika... Coffee lao. Peelate hain aapko coffee.
(Laad Governor... Bring me coffee. I will get you your bloody coffee)
I should have known that there were something fishy going on... Why why why I did not read the bloody contract?
She hears the elevator door open and sees Aman comes out with some files. Her eyes narrow at her target. She yells: Amanji...
Aman jolts and fumbles with the files in his arms and then looks up and sees Khushi's stormy face. He decides to save his skin first. He runs to his office and hides under his desk.

Aman's Office:




Khushi comes after him and leans under his desk: Amanji, bahar aaiye... Abhi...
(Amanji, come out... Now...)
Aman pushes his huge glasses back up his nose with his trembling fingers and slowly crawls out...
Aman: Ji Khushiji? (Yes, Khushiji?)
Khushi stares down on him using her 3 inch heels: Aapko pata tha naa us contract mein kya tha? Aur apne humme bataya nehin?
(You know what was in that contract right? And you did not tell me?)
Aman clutches his files to his chest: Woh... Woh... Khushiji. Sir ne mujhko bola ki aapki sign chahiye jaldi se jaldi. Main kya karta? Meri naukri ka sawal tha... Aur unhone bola ki aapko kuch naa bataye, warna aap sign nehin karengi.
(Khushiji, Sir said to me that he needs your signature on the contract asap. What could I do? My job was at stake. And he told me not to tell you anything, otherwise you won't sign)...
Khushi realized that poor Amanji is extremely scared of his boss and beside it's useless to blame the minion when it's all that Laad Governor's fault... the monster... Poor Amanji.
Khushi smiles at Aman: Amanji, aap sahi keh rahe hain. Yeh sab us Laad Governor ki galti hain. Khair koi baat nehin, achcha humme bataiye ki kitchen kahan pe hain?
(Amanji, you are right. This is all that Laad Governor's fault. Anyways, never mind. Can you tell me where is the kitchen?)
Aman's eyes boggles out: Kaun? (Who?)
Khushi smiles: Laad Governor... Aapke boss. Kitchen kis taraf hain?
(Laad Governor...  your boss. Which way is the kitchen?)
Aman, still in shock at Khushi's audacity, lifts his trembling finger & points out towards the boardroom.
Khushi smiles: Thank you.

She goes towards the boardroom to look for kitchen.
She unknowingly mimics ASR's smirk: Coffee chahiye naa aapko? Abhi pilate hain Khushi chaap coffee. Aisi coffee pilaenge ki paani bhi nehin maangenge aap, Mr. Arnav Singh Raizada...
(You want coffee right? I will get you Khushi brand coffee. After drinking my coffee, you will never even ask for water, Mr. Arnav Singh Raizada)...
Khushi finds the kitchen by the boardroom and walks in.

Kitchen at Top Floor:





Khushi enters the kitchen and locates the coffee machine. She looks in the cupboard right over the coffee machine and sees some basic spices like Red chilli powder, paprika, chaat masala, black and red pepper, salt, sugar were there and beside them is the coffee beans.
She takes out Chilli powder, black and red pepper, paprika and salt and mixes them with the measured quantity of coffee beans. Puts them in the grinder and starts the machine.
While the coffee was being prepared, she grabbed today's newspaper and made origami flowers with it using kitchen scissors.

Khushi's Flowers:





The coffee was done. She took a tray and a small vase, plopped the flower in the vase, put the coffee cup by its side and smiled mischievously: Ab aayega mazaa... (It will be fun)

Devi Maiyya, sitting in padmasan (Lotus Position), clapping her hands gleefully: Yes yes, I'm already having fun...

No comments:

Post a Comment