Saturday, August 25, 2012

Chapter 13



Khushi woke up early after a restless night and decided to go to NIFT early.
As she reached NIFT, she saw Jiggy was there already.
She puts her one arm around his neck and says sweetly: Jiggy, my piggy... Why are you here so early?
Jiggy said dreamily: Khush, you know Roma comes for her early classes. I think I am in love with her...
Khushi controls her chuckles: Right... Why am I not surprised?
Khushi texts the rest of the gang to come on over.
Jiggy asks: Khush, you never told us what happened the night of the fashion show.
The incidents of that memorable night flashes in Khushi's mind.
She gives Jiggy a fake smile: Nothing happened Jiggy. Forget it.
KT and Maze arrives.
Khushi announces: Guess what guys...  (Clasps her hands under her chin and flutters eye lashes) Jiggy is in lau...
KT (deadpan expression): Kiski kismet phooti is baar? (Whose luck went down the gutter this time?)
Maze just smiles and shakes his head...
Jiggy goes red. He shyly says: Roma...
KT: Kaun Roma? Woh accessories wali? (Who Roma? The one in Accessory Designs?)
Jiggy nods shyly affirming KT's guess.
KT looks at Khushi and they both burst out laughing...
Jiggy pouts and looks at Maze and sees that he was trying to control his laughter too...
KT still laughing and snorting wipes her tears: Jiggy, my piggy... You got tangled in Roma?
AJ arrives and sees the gang laughing. AJ: What's the joke, guys?
KT snorts: Jiggy is in lau with Roma (attempts to act coy)
AJ (confused): Roma who?
Khushi still laughing: She is in Accessories Design... You know the self-promo?
AJ: You mean our very own chalta phirta Accessories ki dukan?
(You mean our very own walking talking Accessories shop?)
Khushi nods vigorously between giggles...

Roma:




AJ bursts out laughing and so does everyone accept Jiggy who gives his friends angry glare...
AJ says: Sahi hain. Jiggy ko kabhi uske liye shop rent pe nehin lena parega. Woh khud hi apni marketing hain...
(It's perfect. Jiggy will never have to pay for her shop. She is her own marketing)
The gang fall on the grass and start howling in laughter...
Jiggy pouts: Kya yaar... Tum log bhi naa...
(What man, you guys are too much.)
Chandu arrives. Chandu is the general handyman around here... as in the odd-jobs guy. He knew all the news of the campus and had all emergency supplies/materials like extra clothes, cotton buds, needles, design copies etc available for the students at all time... at a very reasonable price of course...

Chandu:





He says: Khushi didi, chalo... Aapko Princy ne bulaya hain...
(Khushi didi, come with me. Princy has called you)
Khushi looks at him in surprise: Kyun? (Why?)
Chandu: Mereko kya pata? Bulaya hain abhi ke abhi. Chalo...
(How would I know? He has called you right now. Let's go)
Khushi looks at KT: KT, tu please Rina ma'm ko bol dena ki hum late aaenge. Hum dekhke aate hain ki Princy ko kya chahiye...
(KT, please tell Rina ma'm, I will be late. I will go see what Princy wants from me)
KT: Okkay...
The rest of the gang go to their classes.

Princy's Office: 
Khushi and Chandu reach Princy's office.
Chandu knocks on Princy's door: Khushi didi aa gayee. 
(Khushi didi is here)
Khushi enters and sees a guy in suit and big glasses is sitting in front of Princy's desk. That guy looked quite familiar to her. Then her eyes widened as she remembered that she saw him at Payal's office.
Princy: Welcome welcome, my dear. Amanji, this is our Khushi.
Aman gets up and holds out his hand. Khushi shakes his hand. Then they both sit down.
Khushi: Princy... (Looks at Aman) I mean sir, why have you called me here?
Princy: Actually Khushi, I have very good news for you... (Giggles)... Amanji here has told me that they have another intern's spot in their company and they have decided to offer it to you...
Khushi looks at Aman in surprise. Then looks back at Princy: Sir, that is very good news. But shouldn't this job be given to another 3rd year student? I mean I'm only in first year.
Princy nods at her logic: That's what I said. But Amanji insisted to give you the post or they will give this post to another school.
Khushi even more surprised: But why? I have not even displayed my work... Why are they so hell bent to have me?
Aman starts sweating. He remembered ASR's threats if he fails to get this girl in their office at any cost.
Aman hurriedly speaks: Actually, we also need a person who is good at organizing events as well as one who has a creative flair to add extra special touch. Your principal has mentioned that you had organized all events since you have arrived and all of them were very creative and well-received. So we want to give you this opportunity. It will also be a learning opportunity for you. (He wipes his forehead with his hankie and gives a weak smile)
Khushi: I understand all this. But how will I do this job? What about my classes?
Princy (eagerly): Don't worry about that Khushi... You can take morning classes and then go to work. It will extend the duration of the course. But we will accommodate it as this is a great honour for our university. Besides, your friends will help you too...
Aman whips out the contract paper which was made by ASR's instruction: Please sign these so that you can join us by next Monday.
Khushi sees Princy and Aman both hovering over her with expectant expression and then looks at the paper in front of her.
She thinks to herself: This is a great opportunity. This is jiji's company. I can work with her. And if I see that Laad Governor, so what? They offered me a job. I did not go asking for one. So I don't freaking care what he says. Also, the hottie works there. If I'm there, I can matchmake without jiji finding out about it.
She looks up to their faces again... Both had their pleading glances on her...
Khushi (giving them attitude): Fine. I will sign it. (They get excited) But... I want Amanji to make sure everyone in your office knows that you came to me asking... no, pleading to me to take the job. Am I clear?
Aman nods vigorously: I will tell it to everyone. In fact, I will send group email today.
Khushi smiles: Awesome. Where is the pen?
Princy scrambles to his desk and grabs the pen for her.
Khushi tried to sign, but the pen did not have any ink.
Aman gets his pen out of his pocket, but the pen did not have any refill in it.
Aman runs out the door and grabs Chandu: Do you have a pen?
Chandu: I have one. It's Rs. 10.
Aman hands him a Rs. 50 note and grabs one of the pens and runs back in...
Chandu looks at the note, then kisses it: Khushi didi, har roz subah sabse pehle aap hi milna...
(Khushi didi, I hope I see you first every morning)
This pen works.
Khushi signs her name with a flourish, smacks a kiss on Princy's cheek and skips out the door...
Devi Maiyya sighs: See? I tried to stop her. But seems like destiny wanted something else... Oh well... Someone get me a milkshake...

Khushi had butterflies in her tummy the whole time she had to sit still until the class ends. After the class was over, she meets her friends and tells them the news. KT and AJ hug and congratulate her. Jiggy chants: Treat treat treat... 
Khushi tells them that they are going to have a party tonight and it's her treat... Everyone cheers. 
But Maze was quiet. He remembers how he saw Khushi the night of the fashion show. He keeps quiet seeing the happiness in Khushi's face but decides to find about this new job.

After Aman comes out of Princy's office, he calls ASR: Sir, it's done. She has signed the paper.


ASR's office:
ASR hangs up the phone and smirks: Khushi Kumari Gupta, welcome to hell... 

Devi Maiyya slurps on her Milkshake and smirks back: That's for me to know and you to find out, my dear...

PRECAP: Khushi's first day at ASR Designs

1 comment:

  1. Lol I have read this before but Devi maiya wanting a milkshake always gets me.

    ReplyDelete