Saturday, August 25, 2012

Chapter 15



ASR picks up the phone and calls Sarah in reception: Sarah, the new girl will have a different office than the one I asked you to prepare. Hold her in reception and get it done. Also, tell Maddy to come and see me in my office.

Reception, ASR Designs:
Sarah asks Khushi to wait in the reception. Then she leaves in a hurry.
With no one to talk to and nothing to do, she was getting bored out of her skull. So she decides to play Angry birds on her cell phone...
She takes out her cell phone to play when she sees the dusky girl she met when she came there to meet Payal was coming out of the elevator.
She brightens up: Hi... (Waves her hand)
Lavanya stops in her tracks and sees Khushi. She smiles back: Hi...
Khushi smiles: Lavanya right?
Lavanya nods her head: Yes. And you are Khushi.
Khushi nods back: Right. So where are you heading?
Lavanya: Taking a smoke break. You want one?
Khushi smiles: I don't smoke. But I can chew gums to give you company...
Lavanya laughs: Sounds good.

The elevator door opens and Aakash strides out with Payal on their way out for a meeting.
Khushi squeals: Aakash (Waves her hand frantically)...
Aakash stops and smiles at her: Khushi? How are you?
Khushi beams ignoring Payal's frantic signals from Aakash's back: I'm good. Hey, guess what? I am new intern here. Isn't it awesome?
Aakash (surprised): Really? I thought we hired a guy named Rohit?
Khushi (smiling happily): Yup. But you guys needed another one. So I was hired. Amanji himself came to Princy's... I mean my principal's office and hired me... (Beams some more)
Aakash (Confused): Really? That's strange. (Smiles at Khushi) But I'm glad you are here... Welcome to ASR Designs Khushi.
Khushi beams: Me too. Thanks Aakash. But you know what the best thing is ever?
Aakash (amused at her happiness): What?
Khushi looks at Payal and her eyes soften: Because now I will be able to see my sister more often and work with her...
Payal's eyes soften with love too. She mouths back at her: Me too.
But Aakash was looking behind Khushi at Lavanya and misses where Khushi was looking.
He nods to Lavanya and says: I'm sure you love your sister very much Khushi.
Khushi looks back at Aakash and smiles again: I sure do...
Payal smiles at her but calls Aakash: Aakash, we have to leave. The clients are waiting.
Aakash nods at her: Yes, Payal. Let's go.
He looks back at Khushi and smiles at her: I'm very glad that you joined our company, sunshine.
Khushi beams at him.
Payal and Aakash leave.

Khushi turns to a gob-smacked Lavanya and squeals: Isn't he awesome?
Lavanya looks at Khushi (surprised): How do you know Aakash Singh Raizada so well? He called you sunshine...
Khushi (scowled): Who?
Lavanya points at the door: Him...
Khushi smiles: Oh Aakash... I met him at NIFT. He works here... (beams again) I have decided that he will be perfect groom for my sister...
Lavanya surprised: Huh? Works here? You mean you don't know?
Now it's Khushi's turn to get confused: Huh?
Lavanya sighs at Khushi's naivety and elaborates: He owns part of this company. ASR Designs is Arnav Singh Raizada Designs. And he is Aakash Singh Raizada, Chief Operating Officer, ASR Designs... Singh Raizada... Capiche?
Khushi surprised: Oh...
Then she composes herself and smiles back: Thanks for the information...
Lavanya waits for more reaction: And? Now what about your plan for him?
Khushi (confused again): What about that?
Lavanya exasperated: Now what are you going to do about your sister's groom?
Khushi (chiding): Now now Lavanya... Just because he is unfortunate enough to be born in a family where nepotism clearly is the way of life, I can't hold it against him... Can I? I'm sure he is good at his job and would have got this job anyway. Besides considering how successful this company is, he must be doing a pretty good job. It does not matter how he got the job. The point is he is working hard...
Lavanya's mouth hangs open: This is the most screwed up logic I have ever heard. But it (gasps) actually makes sense to me...
Khushi pats her on the shoulder: Now that you have met me Lavanya, I will teach you everything I know...
Lavanya decides to get back to work before her head explodes.
Lavanya: Khushi, I'm going back to work. See you around...
Khushi beams and waves her back.

Suddenly, Sarah comes rushing out of the elevator: Khushi... I mean Ms. Gupta. Come this way...
Khushi (happy): Okay...
Sarah and Khushi get into the elevator. Sarah hits the top floor button. Khushi notices Sarah throwing her sympathetic glances.
Khushi surprised: What?
Sarah nods vigourously: Nothing...
They arrive at the top floor. The elevator door opens. Khushi sees Aman standing there. She beams at him.
Sarah whispers at her: All the best.
Khushi turns to say Thank you, but the elevator door was already closed.
Khushi shakes her head and looks at Aman: Hi Amanji...
Aman gives his weak smile and says: This way, Ms. Gupta...
Khushi says happily: Oh, call me Khushi.
Aman mutters: You won't be for very long...
Khushi does not hear him: Say what?
Aman: Nothing...
Aman leads her to a office.
Aman opens the door: This will be your office, Ms. Gupta...

Khushi's Office:






Khushi walks into the gorgeous office in awe: It's beautiful Amanji... I love it...
Aman then takes her to the studio.
Aman: And this will be your studio. You will share this occasionally with the Designer team when we will be working on a show.

Khushi's studio:





Khushi: Oh my... I love it... (She claps her hand in excitement)...
Aman smiles a sad smile: Now you will meet your boss. Come with me...
Khushi beams: I know... Maddy... right? I'm a big fan of his work...
Aman shakes his head: No. You will report to someone else.
Khushi confused again: Someone else? Who is that? I thought Maddy was the head designer.
Aman: Ummm... That's your boss's office. He is waiting for you... Please go in...

Khushi finds herself standing in front of a giant glass door. She knocks and a booming voice comes from inside: Come in, Ms. Gupta.
Khushi was surprised, but she goes in and sees someone sitting in the huge chair facing the giant floor to ceiling glass window...

Khushi says: Good morning. I'm Khushi Kumari Gupta...
The voice booms: I know who you are, Ms. Gupta.
The chair swings back and Khushi sees her worst nightmare in front of her eyes...
Her eyes widen and she yells: You?
ASR smirks from his chair: Welcome to hell, Khushi Kumari Gupta...

Devi Maiyya clutches her large popcorn bag to her bosom and sucks in her pepsi: Ooohhh, now the game begins...  

2 comments:

  1. ooh devi maiyya, can you share that popcorn?

    (hi tia, been working through this story in little timegaps that i get, really wish tere were a like button.. so i can get out of commenting duty... but i'm loving this!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in love with Devi Maiya,your writing and La

    ReplyDelete